[WBEL-users] VMWare

Luke Scharf lscharf at aoe.vt.edu
Tue Mar 15 22:01:12 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 11:15, Daniel J. Summers wrote:
> Does it really support *everything* the way a system usually would?
> Would it recognize USB devices that Linux doesn't?  (I'm thinking in
> particular about my scanner - although I could probably get a new
> scanner for a lot less than $189.  ;>  )  I also would like to run
> Fujitsu COBOL (which I have the Windows version) and Paint Shop Pro 5
> (an older version, but it does what I need it to, and it's paid for).
> IE would be nice, too, just so I can see how my web pages look without
> having to VNC to my wife's computer to do it.

Yes, but you sometimes have to edit the Linux hotplug service's
blacklist so that VMWare can grab the device.

I did some development with Embedded Visual Basic and an iPaq this way.
IIRC, the iPaq shows up as a usbserial device, and hotplug claims it.
Then, since Linux is trying to run a device driver for it, VMWare can't
get at it.

I recently purchased VMWare and use it primarily to communicate with my
serial-port Garmin GPS.  I keep thinking of writing something like
MapSource for Linux, but it would be a real challenge.

-Luke