[WBEL-users] Upgrading WBEL3 to WBEL4

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Mar 20 20:35:27 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 17:48 -0600, iron monkey wrote:
> ?!?!  You are kidding, right?
>
> If I purchased RHEL 3.0 and then wished to upgrade to 4.0, then the
> upgrade would be unsupported?
>
> Huh?
>
> There has to be some sort of rational for his type of decision...
> Possibly a play to drive business to their professional consulting
> services or something?
>
> But OTOH, with the long release cycles of RHEL, one would think that
> if you wanted to upgrade within that 5+ year timespan, you would
> purchase new hardware, install the latest RHEL, and transfer data.
>
> Seems a little unusual though that there is no direct upgrade
> support--wouldn't that help justify why you'd be paying the pricetag?
>
> But, Lke I said, I'm probably mis-understanding something...
>
> Thanks for your help!
>

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:43:46 -0700, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>

> > Red Hat considers RHEL v 2.x -> 3.x or 4.x as unsupported
> > Likewise upgrades RHEL v 3.x -> 4.x is unsupported
> >
> > If you are going to have an 'unsupported' RHEL, why bother using RHEL?
>

> > <http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/>

----
someone else suggested that Red Hat does support 'anaconda' upgrade from
RHEL 3 to RHEL 4 - that isn't my understanding

There is no price for upgrades. If you have an entitlement - it can be
used for any version of appropriate entitlement. I.E. If you have an
entitlement for RHEL 3 - ES

You can freely download the RHEL 4 ES and install that instead (or
upgrade) and use your entitlement for that. This is open source - they
don't sell the software - only the entitlements

Craig