[WBEL-users] Re: Yum missing packages for WBEL4?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Nov 25 04:15:50 CST 2005

Eric B. wrote:
>>You might want to create a .rpmmacros file in the user's home directory
>>( and/or in /root ) with an entry like this :
>>
>>%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}
>>
>>so that all your rpm querries will then show {arch} as well as
>>pkgname-version-release ( and make it look like yum's output )
>

> I tried adding the .rpmmacros file as suggested, but am still no further
> ahead.

the rpmmacro's would only change the way rpm displays pkg names when you
do a querry.

> In theory, I assume I can probably fix the dependency by installing the
> .i386rpm, but that requires installing several other .i386 dependant
> packages as well.  So I essentially end up having copies of both the .i386
> and the x86_64 libs on my system.  Apart from taking twice the space, I
> can't help be imagine that there will be conflicts down the road.

There will be no problems as such, i386 and x86_64 pkgs occupy different
namespaces.

Surely,  you are not expecting a 32bit app to use 64bit lib's ...

> Is it normal to have to install both 32 & 64 bit libs?  It would seem that
> in theory, one only should need the 64bit libs if they exist....

yes, its normal to have 32bit and 64bit lib's installed at the same time
- if you have 32bit and 64bit applications that use them. Its actually
one of the good things about rpm based distro's + yum, which can handle
such issues with no problems.