[WBEL-users] Up2date and WB3.0 Mirrors.

Kris Deugau kdeugau at deepnet.cx
Mon Oct 9 21:05:48 CDT 2006

Brian Thies wrote:
> The mirrors for WB3 are badly out of date. only about 40% of the mirrors
> that whitebox-mirrors points to are current. For example:
> ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu is being deprecated.

I can't comment usefully on up2date, but the *hostname*
ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu is deprecated (along with a couple of other
*.ctlib.cc.gatech.edu hostnames);  the *system* has no plans I've seen
any indication of to shut down.  Remove the "cc" part for current hostnames.

They've clearly advertised this in their rsync and FTP banners;  they've
also posted a fairly prominent notice on their main website.  They
posted these notices *months* ago.  (I can understand why you might not
have seen these banners, however;  if you're not running manual FTP
access, (ir)regularly mirroring content, or visiting the website, they
get discarded by yum.  Or whichever other tool you use.)

FWIW, the links for GTLib on http://www.whiteboxlinux.org *are* current.

> jach.hawaii.edu doesnt have
> a 3.0 directory.

Some smaller mirrors, unfortunately, only carry the latest release, not
a growing archive of everything.  :/  "Everybody wants the latest and
greatest, you know."  <g>  They may have also only picked up White Box
"recently", ie, after the WBEL4 release.

> and phantomhosting.com has no whitebox directories at all!

*nod*  I've noticed a couple of sites drop White Box over the past two
years or so;  I also started mirroring from one or another site some
time ago (mostly to speed up local experiments - netinst over 100-meg
LAN links are far faster than DSL).  (Sorry, not currently publicly
accessible;  I would *like* to push it out to a publicly-accessible
machine, but the one I could use has somewhat limited overall bandwidth,
and Not Enough Disk.)

> Any idea of who to talk to to get the mirror list updated?
[snip]
> My e-mail to jmorris at beau.org about a month ago on this topic went
> unanswered.

I would imagine that's the correct address;  aside from the slow and
infrequent updates to the website, that email address is still listed.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!