[WBEL-users] Up2date and WB3.0 Mirrors.

Jeff O'Brien jobrien at ntisys.com
Fri Oct 13 08:06:13 CDT 2006

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 12:00 -0400, Jeff O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I as well award my thanks to John and the rest of the list for
>> everything whitebox has done for me and my company over the past year or
>> two.  Thank you all so much, hopefully I'll be seeing you on the CentOS
>> lists when the time comes.
>>

> See ya' there.
>

>> I did my first two WBEL4 to CentOS4.4 migrations this morning both went
>> without a hitch.  Well except one, after upgrading the two systems I
>> noticed both have the whitebox grub splash screen and no CentOS splash
>> screen was found on the system.  If one of you could kindly point to me
>> a new splash.xml.gz with the CentOS that would be well appreciated for
>> such a small thing (just a little anal retentive).  Or does anyone have
>> a little HOWTO on making your own custom?  Not a big deal if no one does.
>>

> I see you already got some responses on how to drop in an image, or THE
> image, but my anal tendencies require me to respond:
>
> [root at lynx ~]# rpm -qf /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> redhat-logos-1.1.26-1.centos4.4
> [root at lynx ~]# rpm -ql redhat-logos | wc -l
> 228
>
> Probably a few other thing in there you may want to get the CentOS look
> and feel.
>
> Cheers,
> Phil

Thanks for everyone who chimed in with their .02.  I did:
yum list *logos*
yum install *logos*     <-- which also uninstalled the wbel logos upon
install, quite nice.

So I got that in there works/looks great.  Thanks again.  So after that
I figured well why dont I edit this logo and jazz it up for the company
and make a custom one.  Open up the GIMP, open the stock image (after:
gzip -d splash.xpm.gz) add company logo, the gzip'd it back with the -S
.gz keeping the same extension.  load it in place at /boot/grub/ make
sure its referenced in grub.conf, check.  Boot up and the image is all
distored and discolored.

Ill be scouring around the net when I get some free time for a good how
to on making your own with out all the display problems.

Thanks again !

--
Jeff O'Brien
Network Engineer  / Manufacturing