[WBEL-users] connect to internet

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Tue Oct 28 11:27:06 CDT 2008

> I have down loaded the driver onto my windows computer
> it is a Broadcom 440x 10/100 Mbps PCI Network Controllers.
> I hope this is the right driver

If you have a Broadcom 440x PCI network card, you should not be messing
about with drivers - that chipset has had native kernel support for a very
long time.

Why don't you tell us what you're trying to do - including which bits of
kit you're wiring together, and how - and then we can help out. Trying to
pervert the kernel will only lead to frustration, and it's completely
unnecessary.

> now since I have no way of using internet on white box computer
> and I can't use the usb drives or cd drives or anything else
> because it is asking for drivers as well,

You should not need any extra drivers to use USB drives or CD drives.

What are you actually doing, and what are you actually seeing? Don't try
to diagnose the problem - just give us the information.

> how do I get the
> information from one to the other?

I'd use ntfs-3g, but before you go down that route, let's get your base
installation working - because something has gone very wrong. Linux
doesn't "ask for drivers", it just fails the operation. So let's see what
your box is actually doing.

> Can the information be typed across?
> what do I do now?

Tell us what is happening, not what you think it means.

Vic.